The Asian collections that are brought together by Leiden University Libraries belong to the foremost collections on Asia worldwide:
- Our renowned Southeast Asian collections of which the Malay-Indonesian collection takes a prominent place. Materials from the Malay Archipelago and Peninsula are available since our Library’s very beginning and belong to the oldest manuscripts still extant.
- The internationally acclaimed collections of the Sinological Institute Library, one of the leading libraries for Chinese Studies in the Western world.
- The rich library collections of the Centre for Japanese and Korean Studies.
- The Kern Institute Library, a national centre of expertise for South Asia and the Himalayan region, holding one of the largest collections in Europe.
- The Colonial collection of the former Library of the Royal Tropical Institute, whose heritage collection can be traced back to 1777.
- The collection of the Royal Netherlands Institute of Southeast Asian and Caribbean Studies, dating back to 1851 and considered the most important collection on Indonesia worldwide.